Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Third time's a charm!

I haven't posted for a little over a month. Life seems to get in the way. It is funny how that happens. Ross and I had our second home study visit. We were able to meet with Christie right before I left for California. She came in on her day off to meet with us. We were so thankful for her that we brought a fruit basket... ok... maybe I should say I brought a fruit basket. Ross thanked me for doing it, but didn't care either way. 
We had a great second appointment with Christie. We were able to really go through all of our paper work and talk through it with her. She had a few clarifying questions and so did we. One thing that she told us was that all of the paper work is changing. She said that as it is now, it is too complicated. We agreed with her and told her that if she wants us to look over it before finalizing them we would. There were so many grammatical and formatting errors that it became aggravating. Not to mention the repetition of the questions.

The appointment came to a close and I asked about making our last home study appointment. Christie said that Teresa would call us to schedule the appointment as soon as our child abuse background checks have been received from previous states of residency. She said California usually takes awhile, but the agency is not able to contact anyone to hurry the process along, but we can contact the state health and welfare to ask them to hurry. I asked if there was a particular number or person to call. Christie said... there should have been contact information on the form you submitted to the states. OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH.... Key word being YOU. We had no idea that we were in charge of sending something to California and Missouri. We took care of the Idaho part and thought that it was then a nation wide search or they sent something to past states of residency. One more thing we now know for next time. This is when the third time's a charm comes in... We went back home, filled out the appropriate forms, and then submitted the last form for our home study. Three tries it took us to get all of the forms done for the home study. On the bright side we are much more prepared for next time and we are FINALLY done with all of the forms!

A week ago I was on my way to Oregon with my in-laws when I received a much anticipated phone call... OUR BACKGROUND CHECKS HAD BEEN RECEIVED! YAY... they were also clean! We knew they would be though. Now was another hurdle... scheduling our third and final visit. In between trips and appointment openings we didn't think we were going to be able to get an appointment until the end of July. Well, that's no good, so what do we do? Reschedule a trip. We moved our California trip back and have our appointment July 10th. The day before our 3 year anniversary.

Apparently, things have once again changed at the agency. We were told that our third appointment would be at our house and the house would be checked out at the same time. Now that has changed. We have our third appointment in the office. This is where they separate us and talk to us individually. I have no idea what they are going to ask us. Ross and I are on the same page with raising a child and adoption, so it shouldn't be too difficult. I am sure that I will be a little nervous though.

The actual home visit is apparently a 15min walk through where they check our house for safety hazards. Since our house was built in 1947 we are a little apprehensive about the visit, but have had amazing church friends fix troubled areas. We were told that we just need someone to come and open the house to let Christie in, but Ross and I would really like to be around for the visit to help explain some of the house.

I am ready for the home study to be done and our book turned in and viewed. They said the home study usually takes 2-4 months. We started the end of February. My goal is to have the home study complete by the end of July. That includes our profile book.

I am, in some ways, dreading the profile book. The book (which is what we call it) contains a letter from both Ross and me to the birthparents and pictures with brief explanations. The book is what the birthparents use to pick you. You don't want the book to say too little or too much. I think the Dear Birthparents letter is the one thing I am most dreading about the book. How do you tell someone that what they are doing is the most selfless thing that anyone can do. They are looking past themselves and looking for the benefit of the child. How do you tell someone that you would be the perfect couple to raise their child? To be the parents that they can't be? I am not a writer. Actually, I have a hard time even getting thoughts into words. We will see how it goes. I am starting a brainstorm sheet where I write ideas that I want to get across.

Last night I received a WONDERFUL phone call. Some one very important to me is pregnant! I am so happy for her and her husband. We have always wanted to have kids together and it is looking very promising.


This picture will probably be the cover of our book. Our friend might take more pictures. Not sure yet. 

Ok... off to brainstorm for the book! 


1 comment:

  1. My husband & I were friends of Ross' in college. I just stumbled across your blog a few months ago. I am wishing you guys tons of luck on your adoption journey. Writing that letter sounds really challenging. I hope you find some inspiration. I just wanted to add that that is a really sweet picture, it definitely needs to be included!

    ReplyDelete