Friday, August 3, 2012

Why do we stress over the little things?

So we had our third and final adoption meeting. This meeting was the one that Ross and I worried the most about. When we were first told about the third appointment, our caseworker said that we will be separated for individual interviews. Even though Ross and I are on the same page, we were still a little nervous that our answers might be completely different. With guidance from Ross' brother Mark we looked up potential questions online and talked about our answers. We wanted to be as prepared for the unknown as we could. 

Our appointment was at 11 and we arrived at the agency a little before our appointment. Our caseworker called us to our office and started talking about open adoption and wanting us to clarify how open we want our adoption. She said that birthparents are more likely to view our profile if we are more opened than closed. After we talked about that, another case worker (Cara) came in and talked to us about what open adoption usually looks like. Cara works with the placement part of the adoption. She is the one that sends the books out and works with the birthparents. Ross and I want as much information about our child's birthparents as possible. We want to share all that we know with our child. It is important for us that our child know how loved they were by their biological parents and that they relinquished their rights out of love.

After Cara was done we talked more about open adoption. By this time I was getting hungry and ready for the individual interview and the appointment to be over. I was getting grouchy, but made sure that I did not show my mood. Finally we changed subjects and Christy started looking through the autobiography part of our form. She went through my forms first and asked a few clarifying questions. Then she went through Ross' and asked him clarifying questions. We were in the room together the whole time. After the individualized questions she filled out a small form. We looked it over and agreed that all the information was correct. Then we were done. The appointment went over 2 hours and we were exhausted and hungry. 

I had so much stress built up for this appointment that when I got home I crashed on the couch. My body was exhausted and my mind was fried! 

Looking back it was not worth the worry and the stress. The unknown is the hardest part. This whole process is about the unknown. Ross and I have no control. All we can do is put our trust and faith in God. Why stress the small stuff? It is in God's hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment